From 1211 to 1500

Many projects were developed in the cathedral between the years 1211 and 1500, such as the construction of the medieval cloister, the Royal Pantheon, the reforms of the Gelmírez Palace, new foundations linked to the prelates, chapels, altarpieces, etc.
Angel with a scroll

Angel with a scroll

Compostela workshop under Mateo’s influence First half of the 13th century Granite The ceremony of consecration of the cathedral in 1211 also served to establish the conclusion of Mateo’s project that had begun around 1168. However, the works in the cathedral had to...

Saint James the Less

Saint James the Less

Compostela workshop under Mateo’s influence. Ca. 1225. Granite with remains of polychromy The cult of the "other Saint James" of the cathedral was relevant since the Gelmírez era when Urraca gave the archbishop his head relic, which was kept in a golden ark. In the...

Annunciation

Annunciation

Compostela workshop, first half of the 18th century. Granite with remains of polychromy This set would have its origin in a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of O, belonging to the guild of the city of Santiago, which in the 16th century would be moved to the Chapel of La...

Saint James seated and crowned

Saint James seated and crowned

Compostela workshop, Ca. 1250-1350. Polychrome granite. It is an interesting evolution of the iconographic model created by Master Mateo in the mullion of the Portico of Glory and on the main altar in particular, with the addition of the crown that was placed on this...

Tympanum of Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem

Tympanum of Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem

Compostela workshop. Ca. 1240-1250. Granite It is a piece that originally presided the main cover of the Church of Santo Domingo de Bonaval, a Dominican foundation located at the entrance to the Way of Santiago in the city. In the 17th century, when the temple was...

Annunciation

Annunciation

Coimbra, Attributed to Master Pero, Ca. 1325. Polychrome limestone This set belonged to separate altars located in the retrochoir, where they remained until the middle of the 19th century when the Virgin was replaced by that of the Annunciation of the guild of...

Tympanum of Doña Leonor

Tympanum of Doña Leonor

Compostela workshop. Second-quarter of the 14th century. Polychrome granite. The so-called Tympanum of Doña Leonor was located in a chapel near the western façade of the cathedral. Like others in the city of Santiago, it is based on the model that Master Mateo made...

Virgin of Forgiveness

Virgin of Forgiveness

Anonymous, second quarter of the 15th century. Alabaster with remains of polychromy. This delicate image of polychrome alabaster presided the altarpiece of the chapel of Archbishop Lope de Mendoza, which was located since the middle of the 15th century in the place...

Saint Michel weighting souls

Saint Michel weighting souls

Coimbra, Attributed to Joao Afonso, second half of the 15th century. Polychrome limestone Traditionally, this image has been related to the one that, according to the chronicles, crowned the so-called Angel Tower or Saint Michael Tower, which was located in one of the...

The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne

The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne

Attributed to Nicolás de Chaterenne, Ca. 1500. Polychrome limestone. This piece, attributed to the Burgundian master Nicolás de Chaterenne, who worked at the time in the cathedral and in the neighbouring Royal Hospital, may have belonged to the altar dedicated to...

Information

Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia

Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica

Contact

Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (Spain)
T.: +34 981 569 327
museo@catedraldesantiago.es

Prohibited to partial or total reproduction two contents of this website without authorization from Fundación Catedral de Santiago .
All rights reserved.