Saint James the Pilgrim from Geoffroy Coquatrix
Paris, Royal Workshop, Ca. 1321. Gold, gold-plated silver and enamels
As it appears in the scroll that the figure carries in his left hand, it is a pilgrimage offering of the Parisian Geoffroy Coquatrix, an important member of the French court of the time and who was related to several monarchs. It was precisely this good social and economic situation that allowed him to be one of the promoters of the Brotherhood of Santiago in Paris and to be able to commission this delicate reliquary image in the silversmith workshops of the court. This piece represents a starting point in the Jacobean iconography, with an Apostle who will progressively become a pilgrim; in this case, he wears an ordinary cape up to his feet and a wide hat proper of the time and carries a staff that holds the aforementioned inscription and, in his right hand, a Gothic shrine that contains the relic of the Saint.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (España)
Ph.: +34 981 569 327
The partial or total reproduction of the contents of this website is forbidden without the authorisation of the Fundación Catedral de Santiago.
All rights reserved.