Saint James the Pilgrim from Archibishop Isorna
Santiago de Compostela, Francesco Marino, Ca. 1445. Gilded silver, gemstones, and enamels.
This image of devotion was commissioned by the archbishop Álvaro Núñez de Isorna for his particular devotion to the silversmith Francesco Marino, of Italian origin but active in Compostela. The prelate’s weapons are those that appear on the front of the hexagonal base of the piece, on which the statuette – reliquary is arranged. As stated in the cover of the book that the image holds in his left hand, a small textile relic of Santiago is kept safe. Although it has some additions that replace its original elements, such as the big crown, the staff with the pumpkin, and the cape, all of them from the 17th century, it is proof of the consolidation of the image of Saint James as a pilgrim and the attributes that will be characteristic of the model.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (Spain)
T.: +34 981 569 327
Prohibited to partial or total reproduction two contents of this website without authorization from Fundación Catedral de Santiago .
All rights reserved.