Saint James seated and crowned
Compostela workshop, Ca. 1250-1350. Polychrome granite.
It is an interesting evolution of the iconographic model created by Master Mateo in the mullion of the Portico of Glory and on the main altar in particular, with the addition of the crown that was placed on this image for a long time, since the middle of the 18th century, and that pilgrims put on their heads when approaching it.
In addition to its apostolic character, with the inscribed phylactery or the tau staff, it also incorporates elements typical of pilgrims, such as the bag across his chest.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (España)
Ph.: +34 981 569 327
The partial or total reproduction of the contents of this website is forbidden without the authorisation of the Fundación Catedral de Santiago.
All rights reserved.