Reliquary bust of Saint James the Less
Santiago de Compostela, Attributed to Rodrigo Eáns, 1332. Gilded silver, gemstones, and enamels.
In 1116, Queen Urraca seized this relic, brought years before from Jerusalem to Braga; thus becoming, since then, the other Saint James of the cathedral. At the time of Archbishop Berenguel de Landoria, his cult was revitalized and this valuable reliquary was commissioned. Over time several elements were incorporated, among which the Hellenistic cameos or the so-called Suero de Quiñones’ bracelet that he wears around his neck stand out.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (Spain)
T.: +34 981 569 327
Prohibited to partial or total reproduction two contents of this website without authorization from Fundación Catedral de Santiago .
All rights reserved.