Attributed to the Master of the Wet Cloths. Ca. 1170. Granite
It is a mutilated piece that was recovered in the course of archaeological excavations carried out in 1957 in the surroundings of the Portico of Glory.
Stylistically, it bears similarities with other preserved pieces of the so-called Master of the Wet Cloths, contemporary with the early days of development of Master Mateo’s project in the cathedral and last representative of the Compostela Romanesque sculpture. However, some particularities present in this piece with respect to the others make it possible to consider that it is a stylistic advance on the part of the sculptor or even an approximation to it by another author.
As in other pieces by the Master of the Wet Cloths, the sculptor uses the posture of the figure to create tension in the garments and the folds attached to the body of classical inspiration ended up giving this artist its name.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (España)
Ph.: +34 981 569 327
The partial or total reproduction of the contents of this website is forbidden without the authorisation of the Fundación Catedral de Santiago.
All rights reserved.