Prophet Elijah

Description

Master Mateo and his workshop. Ca. 1200. Granite
This high-relief plaque comes from the missing outer façade of the Portico of Glory, in which it would have been located in one of its jambs, paired with another piece that, like this one, is also preserved in the Pontevedra Museum and has been identified as Enoch; both prophets, witnesses of the end of time as represented in the tympanum of the Portico of Glory.
Like other pieces from the aforementioned façade that were removed from it in the reform carried out in 1520, both reliefs had an interesting journey that led them to the house of the Ximonde family in Vedra and, after its exhibition in 1909 at the San Clemente College in Santiago, they were placed in 1928 in the Cathedral Museum. They remained there until shortly before their acquisition in 1956 by the Pontevedra Museum, to whose funds they currently belong.

3D Model
Video
Images

Information

Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia

Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica

Contact

Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (Spain)
T.: +34 981 569 327
museo@catedraldesantiago.es

Prohibited to partial or total reproduction two contents of this website without authorization from Fundación Catedral de Santiago .
All rights reserved.