Master Mateo and his workshop. Ca. 1200. Granite
This image, probably located on each side of the north side door of the outer façade of the Portico of Glory, would match with the one identified as Isaac; two of the Old Testament patriarchs, father and son, who would act as prefigurations of Christ. In this way, they would complete the precursor message of the façade, which was directly connected to the interior of the Portico.
Like its partner and other sculptures, it was removed from the façade in the years 1520 and 1521 and was later placed in the neighbouring College of Fonseca. From there they went to the Pazo of the Ximonde family in Vedra and, finally, they were acquired by the Compostela City Council in 1948, as evidenced by the preserved purchase document. However, without having further details, the two pieces are currently in the Pazo de Meirás, owned by the heirs of Francisco Franco.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (España)
Ph.: +34 981 569 327
The partial or total reproduction of the contents of this website is forbidden without the authorisation of the Fundación Catedral de Santiago.
All rights reserved.