Outside wall tower of the Choir
Master Mateo. Ca. 1200. Granite with remains of polychromy
The cresting of the outer fence of Master Mateo’s choir was decorated with a sequence of figures of Biblical characters, four in each section between columns of the cathedral, separated by architectural elements in the form of pyramid-shaped turrets. They represent, in an apocalyptic discourse, the walls behind which the City of God stands. Due to the morphological characteristics of these pieces, fairly regular rectangular blocks were reused after the demolition of the choir as construction materials in other parts of the cathedral, allowing the recovery, at different times, of several of these towers; some of them are exhibited permanently in the Cathedral Museum.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (España)
Ph.: +34 981 569 327
The partial or total reproduction of the contents of this website is forbidden without the authorisation of the Fundación Catedral de Santiago.
All rights reserved.