Master Mateo and his workshop. Ca. 1200. Granite
Like its partner, the figure of King Solomon, the statue of King David was part of the sculptural ensemble on the façade of the Portico of Glory, and both were transferred in the seventeenth century to the parapet of the lodge that completes the baroque staircase of the Obradoiro. In 2016 and after its restoration, the two pieces were on display at the Museum, preserved from the exposure to outdoor conditions.
David appears crowned and seated in a scissor chair with lion heads at the ends. He plays a rotta with his right hand while adjusting its tension with the tuning key of his left hand.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (Spain)
T.: +34 981 569 327
Prohibited to partial or total reproduction two contents of this website without authorization from Fundación Catedral de Santiago .
All rights reserved.