Jeremiah and Saint James the Greater
Master Mateo and his workshop. Ca. 1200. Granite
The images of the prophet Jeremiah and Saint James the Greater, made by Master Mateo’s workshop for the choir of the Compostela Cathedral, are currently on the intermediate level of the last section on the right side of the cover of the Holy Door.
The one identified as Jeremiah was part of the group of the major prophets of the first section of the choir north façade, next to Isaiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel. Like them, he wears the Phrygian cap as a hallmark of his condition and wears a wide robe.
The image of Saint James would be located in the first section of the façade on the south side of the choir, following the same order and characters of the pillar on the same side of the Portico of Glory: Peter, Paul, James, and John. It would continue the sequence of seated figures of the Apostle Saint James, started by Master Mateo in the Portico and followed in the major chapel of the cathedral, above the apostolic sepulchre.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (Spain)
T.: +34 981 569 327
Prohibited to partial or total reproduction two contents of this website without authorization from Fundación Catedral de Santiago .
All rights reserved.