Head of a column statue
Master Mateo and his workshop. Ca. 1200. Granite
This piece was found at the end of the decade of the 80s of the 20th century in the works of a private house located on the outskirts of the city of Santiago; there it had been reused, at an undetermined moment, as construction material to support one of the beams of the house. In 2016 the piece was displayed to the public for the first time and, afterward, it was generously deposited by its owner, on a temporary basis, in the Cathedral Museum.
It is part, along with other pieces, of the sculptural ensemble coming from the outer façade of the Portico of Glory, dismantled in 1520 due to renovation works. The sculptures were removed and scattered, thus only some of them have been recovered.
This delicate and beautiful head, certainly the work of a great sculptor of the time, complies with the characteristics of the column statues of the Portico and presents the particularity of being detached to the body that completed it.
Promote: Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Collaborate: S. A. de Xestión do Plan Xacobeo – Xunta de Galicia
Project Manager: Ramón Yzquierdo Peiró
Scanning and image processing: Margen / Elipseeg.com
Graphic Design: La Cosa Gráfica
Fundación Catedral de Santiago
Casa do Deán, Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela · (Spain)
T.: +34 981 569 327
Prohibited to partial or total reproduction two contents of this website without authorization from Fundación Catedral de Santiago .
All rights reserved.